Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2013

UR DOIN IT 4 ATTENTIOOONNN!!!!11!!!!1!!

Bigotry's never a cute look.

Image: A 'yahoo answers' response.
"Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
They're weirdos, let them slice themselves lol
9 months ago
100% 1 Vote

So I googled "self harm for attention" to kick off this post because the internet is always an infinite fountain of wonderful things and offensive things.

I googled it because the rebuttal is always, "NO, it's NEVER for attention!" And I feel like there are lots of variations on this for all kinds of oppression. "Being gay is NEVER a choice!" "I'm not a feminist JUST because I'm a woman!"

I just don't get it?? I do things for attention all the time. When I talk about mental illness, it is FOR ATTENTION, to eliminate stigma and communicate to other mental illness kids that they are not alone. When I tell satirical stories about misogynoir*, I do it for attention, because it's funny, and I am coping.

We've created this weird formula as a society: if someone is acting in their own self-interest, it is okay to treat them ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLY. You're just ___ because you're ___. So what?!

Maybe sometimes people do choose to be gay (like Cynthia Nixon), and that's fine, and maybe sometimes people are feminists because they aren't cis-hetero-men, which is cool, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, the kid who is self harming for attention DESERVES ATTENTION, just like he deserves a therapist to help him find better ways to get attention.

You know what's worse than being "self-centered"? BEING UNKIND.
JUST LOVE EACH OTHER GOSHHHH

*misogynoir: a term the internet made up for oppression of Black women

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Criticisms?