Search This Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Purse Classism vs. Fair Trade

None a dis pls

Image: A really ugly purse with that appropriative fringe design that's supposed to be generically American Indian, a huge peace sign on the front with a rainbow design, and some braided rainbow handles. There's a huge tag on the top that makes it look like it's from a gift shop, and it probably is.


So I guess the whole point of pseudo-VEDA is that I blog even when I'm not feelin' it. And today all I really have to say is that I need a new purse.

I've had Coach purses since the 8th grade which sounds like a lot of fun except that there's no reason for me to have such an expensive purse. Like, yes, I do use my purse a lot, but I also do things like spill nail polish and vitamin C tablets inside, and it also creates this weird cognitive dissonance for me where I'm a social justice activist who carries around this brand-name overpriced probably-not-fair-trade-or-cruelty-free thing.

So in addition to getting these weird stares from kids who are like a) why is she carrying a purse with her backpack and b) why is her purse Coach is she a rich kid (and while I have class privilege, I am not a rich kid), maintenance of said purses also requires a trip out to the Albertville, Minnesota Coach outlet store, which is really far, with my grandma, who is the driver of my serial-purchasing of Coach purses, and also the driver of the car, because I cannot drive.

And I am sick of it and would rather have an activist-purse.

So does anybody know where I could find a purse that is neither exorbitantly expensive nor laden with conflict minerals?

Seriously though, I need a fair-trade, cruelty-free, environmentally responsible dream-tote that zips shut and has both handles and a shoulder strap.

And then I can carry my hippie power everywhere I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Criticisms?